Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Price of Pleasure

It's late. The light skips yellow across the wood floor and catches on my fingers, my bare feet. For the past hour, the window has been nothing but a dark mirror, but as I watch, the night splits down the middle to admit headlights. A car drives slowly by and realize I have been waiting breathlessly for it to stop.

I fold one leg beneath the other and sit, still and quiet. You spelled it out so clearly, I am A and you are B and the path was too dark between the two. I listened and waited and you did not answer. I told you it was foolish, but I am not a fool and the line fell silent between us. That night I dreamt of your voice.

This is the price of pleasure. Now I have silence, the comfort of clean linens and a wool sweater. Because I can, I walk outside and I do not think of you.

No comments: