Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Late Night Notes

This doesn't work out? I'm moving away, under the sea.
Going to be a nanny to a school of clever fish.
I'd skip out to the stars,
write down their sputtering silences.
I'll dig and dig
until I can warm myself with the molten core of the earth.
This doesn't work
and I'm damned to start to lose myself
the wind will blow one day
and a little bit of me will be gone
the next, a little more
until I'm gone altogether.
I'll live in a tree house,
learn the language of growing green things,
never speak again so that any man can hear.
I'll billow and fly away like a sail, a kite
into a blue blank sky
and cover myself in clouds
and scream lightning and thunder.
I'll become transparent,
people will see through me
I'll moonlight as a double-paned glass door.
I think I'll be an apple
my skin will toughen
and I'll rot away in an orchard
somewhere in Maine.
Maybe I'll slip inside the sun
and see what exactly a nuclear furnace is,
what colors burn brightest.

Or maybe, what's truest is;
this is the last time I think I can bear this.
After this, it's only me,
a wool sweater, a clever conversation,
lust and lovely linens
but nothing, ever again, approaching love.
I'll turn inward like a broken compass
and write and read and
slowly become Emily Dickinson.
It was all laid out long, long ago.
I'll wear black, instead, so people can tell us apart.

No comments: