Friday, September 12, 2008

What I Want

They say there is a secret power in naming. In fact, in many cultures, you have a secret name you do not share so that others cannot wield it's power over you.

It is also said that knowing the most secret name of things is a sort of magic, that you are able to truly own and manipulate something if only you can speak it's true name.

There are some well-meaning but confused daytime tv type of people who explain that only by naming your wish, the universe will respond. Though it might be nice to think that a blind and wise system grants your heart's desire, it's a selfish dream.

But I did make a list, two lists, in fact. What I want from the future and what I want from a partner. My heart went cold as I wrote both short lists. You see, I knew it was too much to ask. But having made the lists, I then knew what I could not live without.

And somehow, instead of the universe responding, I did. I started to seek, and to feel. And found found everything I'd dreamt of, and more.

No comments: