Sunday, August 31, 2008

You Find Me

You find me on the rocky shore of a dark lake, the quiet wound round my heart, a gentle serpent I have learned to bear. So long now there has been only the hush of the water, and the hiss of the wild wood behind. Once there was the staccato crack of my own footfall, now silent as I am washed and still in a moonless night.

First there is only the idea of you, hazy in the winter light. Sleeping, I do not want to wake. The idea I could turn and pull close, my hands empty and searching. Then the gentle call of your voice, elucidating want without exception. I remember your voice, and follow, my feet bare and blue. Now you are as close to me as if your lips were brushing my ear and you whisper back my inmost heart's secret want but as your own. Now knowing you, I know your breath on me would set the day afire.

No comments: